a four mildish ride then from Holyhead to South Stack lighthouse to meet Bob's friend Paul 'the drone man' at the official start.
I used the GoPro (a small camera mounted on my helmet!) to take some photos while we were waiting but it was very windy and the helmet kept falling off the rubbish bin I was using as a makeshift tripod... giving lots of photos like this, great if you like grass...
but some turned out OK... then we saw the drone.... we couldn't contain ourselves...
WOW... this is £15,000 worth of remote controlled wizardry.... it's really impressive, like a very expensive Christmas present...
We don't have the footage from it yet but it will be in here as soon as possible... I can't wait!!
Anyway, it was now time for off... the official start
I know it's not the best photo... but the white arch is the top of the 400 stairs down to the lighthouse and our start point...
And then we got to Four Mile Bridge, the route we're taking from Holy Island to Anglesey and here was Mark holding up the traffic for us so the drone could once again get some aerial photos... all very Hollywood...
Now we're on Anglesey, the big island off the north of the Welsh mainland and it only started raining didn't it... never mind, Bob thought it was great as it gave him an opportunity to try out all his wet weather gear (that he'd bought for the Scottish trip last year when he really should have got sun cream!!)
By the time he'd finished he was airtight, I heard him fart once and his ankles swelled!!!
It was lovely though, leafy lanes all a deep lush green - due to the amount of rainfall of course...
Sadly I was too late to get a photo of Marty on the floor having just fallen out of his bike, yes, I mean he fell out of it rather than off it... anyone that's tried cleated pedals will understand what I'm talking about... anyway, this is Marty trying to explain what happened and why he had recently been lying on his side in the middle of the road being picked up and dusted off by a young mum with her toddler...
Cycling over a hill we came across this reversing out of a drive way (should have been a lay-by really ;)
Even though today is the easiest day of the ride there were still some steep sections... even Seth ended up traversing (actually, I think Super Seth is just being polite and holding back a bit but I prefer to think he was struggling!)
Time was marching on and we hadn't eaten, we were running later than expected and so the pub lunch went by the wayside in favour of a sandwich and a 'double' Mars bar from the local shop...
Suitably refreshed it wasn't long before we're heading over the Menai Bridge...
Then it wasn't that long before we arrived in Caernarfon, checked into the Travelodge again (if you want to see a picture of the pants I found on the bathroom floor behind the door of our room please look at the online album - address later), had showers then went downtown to picturesque Caernarfon, had a great curry, did a bit of sightseeing and then I was in bed by 9pm, oh what an exciting life we lead :-)
The stats are here (in case you're interested!)...
The Garmin log (what the below image is copied from) can be found here
The photos from the day can be found here


No comments:
Post a Comment