Friday, 16 May 2014

The road to Istanbul...


Bob and I went out for a ride this morning ( https://www.strava.com/activities/141764647 ) and at the top of a short but sharp hill were overtaken by a guy whose bike was loaded to the gunwales with: front and rear panniers (all fit to burst), a sleeping bag, mugs, phones, chargers, everything but the kitchen sink (actually, it may have been in there somewhere!). A few miles further on and we caught him up (we did wonder if he'd stopped for lunch, a fag, quick game of chess etc.) and we rode for a few miles together. Michael Mansfield was very interesting, he'd broken up with his girlfriend a little while ago, done up his house in London in order to let it out and was now on the third day of his trip from Lutterworth to... Istanbul!!!!

We had an interesting half hour chatting, Bob was particularly nonplussed that Michael's mugs were a) fitted to the outside of his panniers, b) mounted the wrong way round so not aerodynamic, c) porcelain!!! I have to say I agree on all counts, also, why carry two, does he receive guests?

He was a nice guy and I am very envious of what he's doing :-)... one day perhaps...

While just uploading the photo I noticed we'd taken it in front of the road sign... we were standing on the corner of Welsh Lane... very appropriate considering we'll be on the way to Wales for our own adventure in exactly a week's time!!


Good luck Michael if you read this, I hope it's going well :-)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment